There are many components available on the Internet that come as a single .pas file rather than a complete package project. This is how to install these:
- Delphi 1-7
- Use the Components -> Install Component menu entry to install the component into the default dclusr-Package.
- all Delphi versions
- Create a new package using the File -> New -> Other menu entry, add the component's unit to that package, compile and install the package
Step by step instructions:
- File | New | Other... | Delphi Projects | Package, click OK
- Project | Add to Project [add units and/or Requires items]
- In Project Manager, right-click on Package1.bpl node and select <Install>
If you want the convenience of the old Delphi versions for Delphi 2005 and Delphi 2006 (and the Turbos): See Rudy Velthuis' VCL Component Installer. As of Delphi XE, this installer is part of the IDE again.
To automate this process, you need to
- compile the package and
- install the generated dcp file
For the first part, see Compile from Commandline, for the second, there are at least two tools available: